I have found that a Snow Day was a heck of a lot more enjoyable as a student than as a superintendent. It is almost unfailing that if we have to make a decision to call off school the weather will invariably change for the better 10 minutes after we announce the closure.
Once the road and weather conditions are considered and a final determination is made that conditions are unsafe for student travel the process of notification begins. The decision to close school is determined by reviewing weather reports, the Transportation Supervisor and me driving some of the back roads of our district, and talking with the State and County Road Departments. We also are in communication with University of Idaho officials. If we are still undecided then we go with the concept, “When in Doubt; Sit it Out.”
The notification process begins at around 5:45 am and our goal is to have the last calls made no later than 6:30 am. We use a mass notification system that allows us to notify staff, families, and the media of the closure. We complete this in two disbursements, 1) contacting personnel who are responsible for early morning activities such as bus drivers, food service staff, and custodial and 2) contacting the different media agencies. Shortly thereafter we contact families and staff of the closure, using our mass communication system that allows notification to you by phone and/or email.
It is vital that you make sure your email and home phone numbers are up to date in our PowerSchool program since this is the location used to contact you. If you are not sure if your information is correct please contact your child’s school so that they can update the information as needed.
After these calls end and everyone is notified then a cup of coffee is usually enjoyed as I watch the sun start to break through the black clouds causing the phone to begin ringing.