Dear Parents & Guardians!
As the hot days continue and we’re lucky to get a hint of cool weather at night, it tells me it is back-to-school time! I hope you were able to spend time with your children and enjoy each other during some lazy summer days. The office staff are busy getting things ready for the school year and teachers will be back soon to get their classrooms ready for learning!
As announced last spring, after ten years as the school counselor at McDonald, I was hired as the principal of this school. I’m very humbled and excited at this appointment and grateful I get to continue working will all of you in this capacity.
August 28th: Class lists will be posted at 4:00PM. These lists will also be posted on the McDonald website, http://msd281.org/mcdonald/ only until the first day of school.
August 31st: Join us for our back to school pizza party and open house from 5:00PM-6:30. From 5:00-5:45PM please join us on our west lawn where you can purchase dinner for each member of your family for $1.50. The dinner consists of a slice of cheese or pepperoni pizza, carrot sticks and ranch plus a cookie for dessert! This is a great time for your children to see old pals, meet new families and catch up on summer activities. At 5:45PM we will open the school doors where students and their families can see their new classrooms and meet their new teacher! We will end our evening at 6:30PM so teachers can get home to rest up for the next day and students can have adequate time to lay out their first day of school outfits!
The office will be staffed at this time so parents can bring in shot records or birth certificates. The cafeteria will also be staffed to accept lunch payments.
Name tags will be mailed to you with this letter for you to decorate and label to wear to this fun event!
September 1st: FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! School starts promptly at 8:15AM! This means students are in their classrooms at that time. At 7:50AM, the playground will be supervised so that students are able to join their friends there. At 8:13AM, the bell will ring and teachers will collect their students from the playground to take to class. Breakfast is open at 7:45AM each morning. Students are welcome to come in the front door and go directly to the multi-purpose room if they have breakfast at the school.
School will end at 3:00PM (Monday-Thursday), please make sure your child knows how they are going to get home. Please feel free to send a note (particularly for Kindergarten and first grade students) with your child stating bus, walk home, adventure club, pick up, etc.
September 4th: This Friday and every other Friday of the school year, students will be released at 2:15PM so teachers and staff can collaborate with each other.
September 7th: No School. Labor Day.
September 11th: Outdoor family movie night! Continuing our tradition of enjoying a family movie under the stars, join us on the west lawn at 7:45PM for this wonderful Friday evening activity.
Parent Night: Each grade will have a parent night in September. This is an important evening for parents/guardians to learn about their child’s teacher, the curriculum and expectations for the school year, and learn what your child does all day! Watch for your child’s grade level parent night announcement in the Wednesday folder.
Student Immunizations: All students must meet the immunization requirements. If immunization requirements are not met, by state law we are not allowed to have those students in attendance. Please call the office or your doctor if you have any questions.
Wednesday Folder: Each Wednesday you child will come home with a colorful folder filled with information from school. This typically gives you information about the work your child completed during the week. It is also the avenue where the school disperses information to you about upcoming events.
On the first day of school, (a Tuesday), your child will receive their folder with IMPORTANT forms that need to be filled out and returned quickly.
This folder also is used to send home flyers about community programs and events. These community flyers will be saved and sent home only on the first Wednesday of each month, with the exception of September. Community flyers will be sent home on September 9th.
We’ve had some changes and additions in staff this summer:
- Kindergarten and first grade staff are staying the same! Welcome back Emma Riely, Heidi Palmer, Denise Johnson, Brenda Iverson and Kristine Fitze.
- Second grade expands to three classes this year, and Lance Hamma will join Debbie Bell and Jana Horne.
- Third grade has a great trio of excited, knowledgeable, and eager teachers. Ashley Payton transferred over from Russell Elementary to join Krysta Spinarski and Heather Hall.
- Wes Bascom is joined by former third grade teacher, Wendy Thompson, and former special education teacher, Pepper Abbott, to complete fourth grade.
- Fifth grade is our only grade at just two classes this year. Lee Berg and Jerri Parce will be rounding out our school with their expertise.
- Joining special education teacher, Geri Ray, we welcome Becky Adderson to McDonald for her first elementary position in special education. She worked as a Sped teacher last year at Pullman High School.
- Shahna Paul is our new school psychologist- she previously worked at the same position and as a school counselor- in Lewiston School District.
- Aaron Schiffelbein is our new school counselor- he hails from working in the same position at Potlatch School District. We are very excited to have him here. He has big shoes to fill…HA!
- Vickie Brandner joins us in the office taking a secretary position. Vickie comes to us from a small K-12 school in Colorado where she did the same job for more than a dozen years. She has a sweet southern accent, try to figure out which state she originates from…
Website & Communication: Increasing communication is important to me and our staff. In addition to Wednesday folders, we will communicate with you through our school website. This letter, as well as other information throughout the year, will be posted on our website, http://msd281.org/mcdonald/.
This school means the world to me. We are excited to welcome your families back to school and begin a new year. We love your children and will do everything we can to help them grow. See you soon!