Welcome to Spring! I love the marsh we call a playground, the ongoing showers throughout the day, and the smell of wet children! I know, the good thing about the Palouse is if you don’t like the weather, wait for 20 minutes and it will change. Spring is also a fantastic time to be in school. Students pull all of their foundational learning from throughout the year and put it all together. It is fascinating to watch children learn and perform all of these skills!
Family BINGO NIGHT is this Friday, MARCH 31ST! This is such a fun evening for families, please come join us. Our PTO has put together incredible raffle baskets and terrific silent auction items. We have FANTASTIC bingo prizes as well. Come enjoy watching your teachers, and yours truly, make fools of themselves calling out bingo numbers!
- Dinner 5:00-6:30PM Baked Potato Bar-$3/person
- Bingo 6:00-8:00PM cards are $3 each or 2/$5 and can be used for every game throughout the evening
While you are in the building, please check out our vast amount of lost and found items. It is a bit out of control. We will be taking a load to be donated soon, so please come claim your items.
Portfolio Night, Thursday April 6th: Our annual student led-conference is next week! Like last year, we will have our portfolio night from 3:10-6:00PM on April 6th. Students and teachers have worked all year long organizing samples of your child’s work and assessment data so they can share it with you on this fantastic afternoon. This is how it works:
- Parents will accompany their child to their classroom (5th grade is in the library). You will sit down with your child and he/she will explain to you about his/her work throughout the year.
- Teachers will be present in the classroom, checking in and prompting students, but this format is designed to be a student led conference.
- In order for parents to have individual time with each child, we are providing free childcare in the multipurpose room. Please drop off your other children while you meet individually with each child. I request you take advantage of this service as it provides a better experience for each of you, as well as other families, if we don’t have extra children in the classroom.
- Bake Sale: Fourth grade will be raising funds to support their field trip to Spaulding as part of the Social Studies unit. Goodies will be right inside the front doors available for a donation.
- If parents need to conference with teachers directly, please contact them and schedule a time for the morning of Friday, April 7th.
Kindergarten Sign Up:
Registration and screening: The process for registering your new kindergartener will be the same as last year. Parents can call the school now to schedule an appointment to register their child. Our registration/screening days are April 17-18. While parents are registering their child, teachers and other school personnel will screen your child in areas of vision, writing, math, letters and sounds. At the end of the screenings, a kindergarten teacher will meet with parents to discuss the screenings. A tour of our wonderful school will complete this time. Please plan on allotting 60 minutes for this process.
Before School: Students should not arrive on campus before 7:45AM. We have no staff on duty until that time. At 7:45AM, breakfast is open for students and at 7:50AM, the playground opens with supervision for students. Students who want to have breakfast at school need to be here by 8:00AM.
School begins at 8:20AM. Students need to be in their classrooms by that time. If they are not, they are counted tardy and miss out on the beginning of the day instruction and activities. Tardiness is quite disruptive, so please do your best to get your students to school on time.
Student Safety: If you are picking your child up after school and parking in the parking lot, please escort your child to your car. Students cannot cross the parking lot after school unaccompanied. We care about your child’s safety, so please encourage them to buckle their seatbelts.
March 28th Science Fair open house: This Moscow wide elementary school science fair takes place in our McDonald gym. On March 28th, the projects are on display, for the public to view from 5-8PM.
March 31st Bingo Night: 5:00-8:00PM, see above.
April 5th Class & specialty picture day
April 6th Portfolio Night 3:10-6PM, see above for information
April 7th No School, parent conferences by appointment
April 10th PTO Meeting: 6:30PM in the library
April 17-18th Kindergarten registration & screening in the library
April 26-27th Visiting Authors present to McDonald students
May 2nd-May 16th Year End Assessments if your children plan to be absent any time during this period, please contact the school now so we can adjust their schedule.
May 11th-12th Book Fair, May 11th 8AM-6PM with student previews through the day, May 12th, 7-8AM Book Fair Breakfast, with the book fair closing at noon.
May 15-19th Box Top Contest
May 26th Snow Make-Up Day there will be school this day
May 29th Memorial Day no school
June 7th Duck Fun Day 12-3PM
June 8th Last Day of School, 9:20AM Intermediate awards assembly, 10:00 Primary awards assembly, Noon 5th grade graduation.
Whew, it makes me tired just writing down all of these events! Get ready for a fun, exciting, and busy end of the year!
Kim Mikolajczyk, McDonald School Principal