We aim to meet the academic, personal, and social needs of all students by creating a learning community where students are encouraged and supported to become lifelong learners and responsible citizens. Remember, once a duck always a duck!
January 29, 2016
Happy New Year and new semester!
I trust everyone had a wonder winter holiday and break. It really seems like such a long time ago! We have just started second semester which is an exciting time of year for us all. It seems like it is this time of year where we see students put their foundational learning from the fall together with what is being taught now which produces great academic growth!
Report Cards: Report cards were sent home on Wednesday, January 27th. Hopefully all parents have seen them at this point. If you haven’t, ask your child for it. If you have any questions or need clarification on any part of the report card please contact your child’s teacher. This document is made to inform you of your child’s progress so far this year and give you information about what is expected in the future. Please keep the card, but sign and return the envelope.
Geography & Spelling Bees: January was filled with bees! We held our Geography Bee on January 15th, with Carson Carothers as our school champion and Zac Skinner as runner up. Our Spelling Bee was held on January 29th with Ian Peng as our champion and Noah Blank as our runner up. Congrats to all of our participants and good luck to our champions as they move on to the regional bees!
Weather & Recess: Outdoor recess is a needed activity throughout the day. We see students who get even a short 15 minute break of fresh air are ready to take on their new learning activity with new energy. Unfortunately, the Palouse weather is somewhat cold and wet. Our policy is in cold weather that children will go out to recess until it gets below 10 degrees (including wind chill). Students still have outside recess if it is sprinkling, but McDonald staff will decide when the rain is too hard to stay outside. Please dress your children as if they will have outdoor recess.
February 3rd Polar Walk. Those who can, walk to school. Be sure to stop by the hot cocoa table and get a selfie taken with the stuffed polar bear! Some selfies will be posted to our McDonald web page.
February 8th PTO Meeting 6:30PM in our school library. Please consider attending and helping organize events that support families and students at McDonald elementary. There is always treats!
February 15th President’s Day. No school.
February 23rd School Board Meeting. Basement boardroom at the District office at 7PM.
February 23rd Jazz in the Schools Assembly
February 24th Readers as Leaders Cards due
March 4th BINGO NIGHT! Nacho dinner 5:00-6:30, Bingo 6:00-8:00PM
March 31st Mark your calendars! Portfolio Night.
We have welcomed several new families to McDonald Elementary since the beginning of the year. I’m very proud of our
ducks welcoming new students to our flock! Have a great month!
McDonald School Principal
Welcome to the winter weather!
We’ve had a thrilling month and I know we have more excitement to come!
We had a very successful few days of parent/teacher conferences. We came very close to having 100% parent attendance throughout all grades. Thank you for participating in your child’s conference. If you have other questions or concerns about your child’s school performance, please don’t hesitate to contact your child’s teacher.
The Turkey Trot is tomorrow, November 20th. Friends and family are welcome to meet us on the playground at 12:45PM. We have arranged to have this event filmed by our high school film crew. DVDs will be available for $5. Please contact the office if you’d like to purchase a DVD.
The students had a wonderful time with our Artist in Residence last week. Dancer, Kay Braden provided classes to each student on the theme, “Home,” and worked in depth with our 5th grade students. We ended the week with a wonderful performance that was enjoyed by all who attended. Ms. Sant submitted a grant application to the Idaho Commission of the Arts and was awarded said grant. In the final report documentation Ms. Sant will include photos and video clips that may contain images of your child(ren). Please email or call the school if you do not wish to have photos of your child used for educational purposes by the Idaho Commission on the Arts. Ms. Braden and I will also present the photos and video clips at the ArtsPowered Schools Institute next summer as an example of a dance residency.
In conjunction with the theme of “Home,” our student council organized a food drive to help families in our community. This food drive ends tomorrow, Friday, November 20th. Please send in non-perishable food tomorrow, if possible.
Our school website is continually being updated. Our newest feature is, “Meet the Staff.” Please go to this link to find out about the people who your children spend their day with. www.msd281.org/mcdonald/home/meet-the-staff/
If we happen to have a snow day this year, you will be notified through our school messenger system early that morning. I have sent several messages through this system this school year that should have phoned, texted and emailed you. If you have not received any messages from me this year or if you would like to change numbers or addresses, please contact the school and inform us of the proposed changes. Only one number and email address can be used per child.
Outdoor recesses will continue throughout the year as long as the temperature is 10 degrees or above and not pouring rain. Please dress your children accordingly. Remember, as children head to school with snow boots they still need tennis shoes for Movement and PE. As stated in our student/parent guide, all children are expected to participate in outdoor recesses. There is not scheduled supervision for children inside during outdoor recesses.
Although we started our optional digital Wednesday express, the district has taken this service over. All community flyers will only be viewable on-line. To access these flyers go to www.msd281.org, and then click on “Community Interest.” From now on, only McDonald flyers will be in your child’s Wednesday folder.
November 23rd –-27th Thanksgiving Vacation
December 4th Winter Ball: Family event, 6:00-9:00PM, gym
December 10th Winter Musical: Grades K, 1, 2. Rehearsal performance for McDonald students at 10am, performance for parents at 2PM
December 14th PTO Meeting: 6:30PM, library
December 21st-Jan 1st &4th Winter Vacation, No school district curriculum and professional development meetings.
January 5th Back to school for students
I love your children and how they make our school such a special place to grow and learn!
McDonald School Principal
November 1, 2015
It seems like we have finally experienced the weather of fall, brr!
I am proud to announce that your children are now fully comfortable in their surroundings! The newness of the school year has dissipated and our students are thriving and comfortable learning new things with their classmates every day. I see and hear excitement daily about new learning and experiences wherever I go in the school. It is fantastic!
There was a great deal of excitement, food and fun at the school Friday! Thanks to our wonderful music teacher, Mrs. Berthiaume, our fifth grade students entertained the school with the annual monster mash assembly in the morning. It was an excellent performance with lots in attendance. Many classes utilized pumpkins in the math and science lessons, and there was loads of fun in the afternoon.
- Parent-Teacher Conferences: This week on Wednesday evening as well as on Thursday and Friday, November 4th-6th, McDonald school will be having parent/teacher conferences. Each parent with children from Kindergarten through 4th grade should have a conference scheduled. Fifth grade is having open conferences in the library during this time. We want to make sure all of our parents are able to sit down with their child’s teacher to discuss their progress and goals for the year. If you haven’t scheduled a time yet, please contact the school at 882-0228 so we can make an appointment for you!
- Lost and Found: Our lost and found is VERY FULL. There are loads of jackets, hoodies, and other items left behind. We have all of the contents of the lost and found laid out in front of office on tables for you to collect during parent teacher conferences. Any items that don’t have names on them will be donated after conferences.
- Weekly Wednesday Folders: In addition to our school going to optional digital Wednesday express, the district has started scanning in flyers onto the district website. This can be accessed by clicking on the “community interests,” on the district webpage. If you’d still like to sign up for our school opt out option you can access this file is to go to msd281.org, then click on “District Schools,” then choose “McDonald Elementary,” then click on “Student & Parent Info,” lastly, click on “Wednesday Folder.” Please contact the office or your child’s teacher to sign up.
- Love and Logic Parenting Classes: Tuesday, November 3rd, our school counselor, Aaron Schiffelbein and Lena Whitmore school counselor, Megan Raney will teach a condensed 3 course class on the Love and Logic Parenting Program from 6:30-8:30PM. Love and Logic has been a time tested program that is fabulous to use in your home. Please call the school to sign up! The class is free and there is free childcare available.
- Turkey Trot: Our annual tradition of the turkey trot is right around the corner, on Friday, November 20th. This is a wonderful all-school event highlighting team work, sportsmanship, physical fitness and school unity. Families and friends are invited to join us on our playground that afternoon to cheer on our runners.
November 3rd –Tuesday Love and Logic Parenting Classes. This is the first of 3 classes held on Tuesdays in November.
Nov. 5th & 6th– Thurs & Fri No School: Parent/Teacher Conferences. Please contact your child’s teacher for a time for your conference if you haven’t already done so.
November 9th PTO Meeting: 6:30PM, library.
November 10th Love and Logic Parenting Classes
November 13th Picture Retakes: If you don’t like how the pictures turned out, return your child’s packet in its entirety and a new picture will be taken. Those who were absent on picture day will have their picture taken today.
November 17th Love and Logic Parenting Classes
November 20th THE TURKEY TROT Will there be rain? Snow? Slush? Sun? Who knows? We will be running! Families are welcome to cheer us on for our annual fun! Students will be in multi-grade teams running with their grade level peers in races around our beautiful playground. Festivities begin outside at 12:45PM.
November 23-27th Thanksgiving Break
I will see you soon at conferences. Thank you for sharing your children with us.
McDonald School Principal